Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wedding Invite Christmas Ornament

So I am going to do a non-animal related post (gasp!). A few weeks ago, I found this on pintrest. I thought, "what a wonderful way to use up an old wedding invitation"! So I decided to make my own "deconstructed invite ornament". There are awesome instructions here but I thought I would post my own anyway.

Needed:
  • Pen or pencil
  • Wedding/Bridal Shower/Baby Shower/whatever invitation
  • Empty Christmas Ornament (glass or plastic)
Total Cost: About 80 cents. I used a plastic ornament I bought from the craft store. Everything else was "free" because I already had it.

  1. Deconstruct the invite. Take off all of the bows, ribbons, vellum envelopes, and so on
  2. Cut the invite into quarter inch strips, preserving the words if possible. I cut some of my strips a little bigger just so that our names would be whole onto a strip.
  3. Wrap the strips around a pen to make the strips curly
  4. Insert into the ornament. I used a plastic one because I am clumsy and because I have a cat who may decide to play with said ornaments. I don't like having glass ornaments on my Christmas tree (at least not ones that I care about).
  5. You can insert various ribbons, embellishments, whatever into the ornament. I added a bow with a little rhinestone (I originally wanted to add it on the outside but it looked weird). I also cut some of the vellum into strips and inserted it into the ball.
  6. That is it! You can add embellishments to the outside of the ornament if desired. I took a piece of ribbon from the invite and tied it to the ornament to create a loop. If you want, you can stick the pen into the ornament and stir it around to distribute the loops.


 Here is a picture of the finished product:

Not as pretty as the one that inspired me to do this. Still, I like it :)

 It isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it cost me around 80 cents and it only took me 30 minutes. Oh, and I got to use up one of the dozen extra wedding invites.

And because I feel guilty about posting something that isn't animal-related...here is a picture of my leopard gecko sleeping with her head leaning against her hide rock. Yes, she is using her hide rock as a pillow :)

Awww!

No comments:

Post a Comment