Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dog Grooming

So a few weeks ago, I got hired at Petco as a dog bather. I originally applied to be a store associate to kill some of my time, but for some reason I got hired to work in the salon (there was a computer error and the online application said store associate when they really needed a dog bather). Even though I have practically zero experience in this area, they hired me. The only real experience I had was bathing the family dog when I was younger. He was an Australian Shepherd and he needed a bath often because he used to get crap stuck in his skirt (eww). Anyway, when I went in for the interview, the manager and store associates were very excited. One of the girls ran to the manager and said, "Guess who you are interviewing...The snake lady"! My husband and I visit that branch on a weekly basis for crickets (we also adopted Squeezie from them), and they recognized me. So for those of you that want to work at a pet store that you frequently visit, make sure you stand out when you go to buy stuff. Someday when they have an opening, you might just get it :)

The only grooming experience I had was tending to Marty.

So I thought I would post some important things I learned about grooming in the last week.

I am actually pretty good at clipping nails. For those of you that want to clip your own dog's nails at home, here are a few tips I have learned:

  • The longer the nail, the longer the "quick". If your dogs nail's are very, very long, it will be impossible to get the nail short without causing the dog to bleed. I suggest getting the nails trimmed at a salon (around $10), and then doing it yourself at home later. It will be much easier to maintain the nails once they have been trimmed. 
  • If your dog has black nails, clip in small layers until you see a black dot in the center of the nail. That is the quick.
  •  Nails are very sharp when they are first cut! You can get a groomer to buff them after they are cut for just a little more. That will make the nails smooth. Also, buffing allows the groomer to get the nails shorter because it takes off small layers. 
  • Keep in mind that when you cut the nail with traditional cutters, it can pinch the quick, causing a little discomfort at the moment you clip the nail. Just be mindful when you are using the clippers and don't get upset if your dog yelps, pulls away, or tries to bite. 
Taking your dog to the professional groomers can be very healthy for it! Here are some benefits:

  • A typical bath or grooming package includes a check of your dog's anal glands.
  • A typical bath or grooming package includes an ear cleaning. This can help prevent infection. Also, in certain breeds, hair can grow in the ears and cause infection (the hair holds onto bacteria and prevents normal air flow to the ear). A groomer will pluck these hairs out (similar to you plucking your eyebrow hairs. It isn't comfortable but it shouldn't cause too much pain).
  • A groomer will examine your pet's overall health and alert you to any issues, such as possible skin allergies.
  • A toothbrushing service will help prevent tartar build-up that can lead to expensive tooth cleanings and even dental extractions! A large percentage of the surgeries at the vet clinic I work at are dental extractions. Trust me: you want to avoid this fate for your dog! Plus, who doesn't like getting rid of that nasty dog breath? 
Ewww! Doggy breath!


Some other things I know or have learned about grooming:
  • People often try to bathe their dogs at home. Sometimes, they do not rinse their dog well. We had a dog come in recently with itchy skin. When I rinsed her (before I put soap on her), the water coming off of her was very soapy. If you do wash your dog at home, make sure you RINSE! 
  • This is something I have known for awhile: If your dog has itchy skin, check your food before you blame the groomer (or yourself). A lot of dogs have food allergies! You would be surprised by the junk they put in dog and cat food. I was feeding my cat Friskies for awhile. Then I checked the label and realized the only things in his food that suggested meat were 1) Chicken by-product and 2) Beef Tallow. Uck! Check the food label, people!

Friskies makes my tummy hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment